I grew up in a small town in Australia called Whyalla. My first love of music came mostly from what I heard on the radio as a child during the early 70’s – there was a lot of good and interesting music happening then both locally and internationally. When I was 14 I bought my first album – it was “Band on the Run” by Wings. That same year a family friend moved away and gave us his old guitar and they were giving free guitar lessons at my high school. There was the choice of either folk or classical guitar lessons so for me it was a no-brainer; classical lessons – I hated folk music. At the same time, my older brother was introducing me to music like Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and Pink Floyd. Later on in high school I had friends introducing me to prog rock like Genesis and Yes, and a family friend was selling some cassette tapes and I bought Emerson Lake and Palmer’s “Brain Salad Surgery” – that blew my mind!

I hated school so I quit high school to get an apprenticeship, and as soon as I could afford it I bought an electric guitar and amp. At work I had other people introducing me to more music like Frank Zappa, Brian Eno and Robert Fripp. I was soon playing with various groups of friends doing covers. I never got to the stage of performing live with any of them before I left Whyalla but was exposed to many more artists and styles, and learned that there isn’t much that I couldn’t learn given enough time.

When I finished my apprenticeship I left Whyalla and moved to Adelaide. I was living in a share house with a party focus and met some musos that I clicked with and we formed a band. None of us were interested in doing cover songs – we just wanted to jam. Eventually we started writing songs too and friends would ask us to play at parties. We did some songs but still jammed a lot of the time. We got so good at jamming though that people often didn’t realise that we were making it up on the spot. We got a name too – The Dregs. The core members (Drummer, bass player and myself) were together for about 10 years with other members coming and going. When we finally called it a day I was in a long relationship, had moved to a far outer suburb and was studying for a degree – then, the first time in ten years, I got “real” job.


Playing with the Dregs


Eventually the band folded and I started recording my own music at home. Initially I was using two tape decks but eventually got a PC and a MIDI sound generator. I was also working and studying so I would stay up late after my studies learning and recording. Eventually I released an album of my mostly instrumental pieces under the artist name of “Slatermeal”. It was only released in a local CD shop. After that, playing music became a minor part of my life for a while as I did the 9 to 5 thing.

In 2002  I moved closer to the city again and left the relationship. I also started my journey of self discovery and spirituality through various groups and workshops. I started jamming with other musicians and eventually started playing in various friends and local bands – Sound Barrier, Seldom 6, and Underground Orchid being the main ones. During this period I started writing again – it was during 2009 when, after a relationship breakup and, while in a brief affair that didn’t work, I started writing from my heart for the first time. That is where I have been since then – writing from my heart, my life, my feelings, and my experiences. In the last year that Underground Orchid was together I started playing my original music – sometimes solo and sometimes with a friend (Nick) playing lead guitar and doing backing vocals.

At Heaven Field Cafe

Heartman at Heaven Field Cafe

I continued playing solo gigs for the next couple of years during which Underground Orchid disbanded then, in the last half of 2014, I went into the studio and started recording some of my new music – some solo and some with a drummer and bassist.

In November of 2014, I moved to the U.S. to marry my partner of the last 3 years. I now live in the Bay Area in California and will be playing gigs eventually. In the meantime I have played a few open mics at The Fireside Lounge in Alameda and am working on completing my website and social media pages. When I get work and some money coming in I will finish the recordings. Until then I am working on making my earlier solo recordings available for sale.


Comments are closed.